“Big picture dreams broken down into smaller, more manageable parts unveil the steps that lead you to where you want to go.” - Richie Norton
Questions this week: What's going to get you and keep you in the flow of Momentum (i.e. your daily steps and consistent action?).
What are the smaller parcels and milestones of your bigger goals?
In Focus – WHY
As an entrepreneur it’s likely that your To-Do list will keep growing, day by day, with big tasks merged with little tasks. For many, it can feel overwhelming.
One strategy to combat the overwhelm is the Chunk big tasks down into smaller bite sized pieces. So in other words, break it down to Quarterly, Monthly, Weekly and Daily pieces.
Some common activities you might find at each of these layers are:
Quarterly tasks – reviewing vision, checking statistics, program planning and updates. Use the Quarterly Planning Section in PlanDoTrack or Coaching Business Builder for a structured review process and planning.
Monthly tasks – Setting your top 5 goals, Thinking about key relationships to foster, Project Planning. Lessons Learned, Setting a Monthly To Do List. Setting Your Theme for the Month - maybe rolling the dice or selecting 5 of the Conversation Sparker Charms to frame your theme for the month. Use the Monthly Review pages part of the PlanDoTrack and Coaching Business Builder books)
Weekly tasks – Review of key stats - i.e. analytics for website, revenue. Use the Week in Review page found in the monthly planning section of PlanDoTrack or Coaching Business Builder to do a structured review of the week - lessons learned, key accomplishments etc.
Daily tasks - Responding to immediate issues, building relationships, addressing strategic issues, program delivery, coaching conversations. At least 5-10 minutes of daily planning and reflection. While PlanDoTrack and Coaching Business Builder were not created as a daily planning tool, there is a daily planning page you can use at the back of it.
As I shared a few years ago at the PlanDoTrack blog:
There are many different models of time management and one of them is about chunking. Chunking invites us to break tasks down. In chunking we may put tasks of a similar nature together. Chunking can create momentum so we may be able to quickly get those items off our list.
One of the other areas that I've touched on in this book already is the notion of finding the times of day that work best for you. What does momentum mean for you? What are the top 6 you can get off your list quickly? What are the things that will help you gain some momentum and get things done on a consistent basis?
Businesses are often built in spurts.
Parkinson’s Rule asserts that tasks expand to the amount of time we give them. Sometimes it can be useful to “corral” a task, giving it a very fixed timeline in order to ensure that it gets one. Here are some examples of what you might do in spurts or by chunking:
REMEMBER - Chunking creates momentum! - Jennifer Britton - https://www.plandotrack.com/blog
- Accounting – rather than doing this daily, you could schedule time every month for data entry, invoicing, review etc.
- Writing – while writing daily can be a great practice, you could do this for multiple projects. Think – blog, book, articles, podcast
Pull out your running To Do list check out this blog post at PlanDoTrack for more on the running to do list) and break it down to smaller task bundles. It might make sense to break it down chronologically, or it may be better to break it down in buckets.
Have a great week,
Creator of the Group Coaching Essentials and our 70 and 125 hour pathway programs for the ACTC or our internal Group Coaching Certification
Set up a 15 minute call to discuss your needs with our team
Register for our upcoming 2024 Training for Group and Team Coaches:
- Group Coaching Essentials (8.75 CCEs) starts end of Feb (Fridays) - with Evana
- Team Coaching Essentials (14 CCEs) starts March 11 with Jennifer (6 weeks to end of April) OR May/June
- Mentor Coaching Group for ACC/PCC new cohort starts February 26th on Mondays from 11 - 12 noon ET - with Jennifer
- ACTIVATE Your Group and Team Coaching Superpowers - Mondays 830-10 am ET starting March 4 (14 CCEs - course 4) - with Jennifer
- Coaching Diverse Teams and Groups using the Work Styles - Mondays 130 - 3 pm ET - Starting Monday March 11 running to end of April (14 CCEs)
- Coaching Supervision - 1st Thursday of Each Month at 12 noon ET with Jennifer and Kathy
- Coaching Biz Growth Lab (our annual group dedicated to coaching business development) meets bi-weekly on Fridays 1135 - 1220 pm ET. Next call Friday Feb 16th - Building Out Your Support Network as a Coach-preneur